Monday, September 15, 2008

sad passing

sadly and this is truly sad, richard wright pianist/keyboardist of pink floyd has died. he wrote some of my faves from the catalog. great gig in the sky is one of those totally awesome and beautiful songs that i pretty much butcher and make the ears of anyone in the vicinity bleed anytime i try to sing. no words but great vocals evocative. this of course ends a long held dream of mine of seeing pink floyd in concert.

the imagery for the video for learning to fly haunted me from the time i was 8 until i saw it almost a decade later though i didnt then know it was pink floyd. i went through a massive pink floyd period, listening to it non stop. it was like a whole world opened up to me when i got the wish you were here album. so much of my thinking and life at that point involved pink floyd. whether i was listening to them while contemplating an important decision (important for then) or easing my sorrow over something. it was/is music that fueled my imagination or soothed my emotions (kinda like those chicken soup books but way way better and less hokey). a lot of the songs spoke to the loneliness and isolation of my teenage self allowing me to acknowledge it and providing an outlet for angst. cocooned by the music - definitely best listened to loud or headphones - i and everything was okay. it definitely is part of the soundtrack of my young adulthood and life. listening to a song now evokes memories of my then.

time, wish you were here, wearing the inside out, welcome to the machine, shine on you crazy diamond, high hopes, us and them, great gig in the sky, hey you, goodbye cruel world, vera, comfortably numb, run like hell, on the turning away - some of the best

No comments: