Sunday, December 14, 2008

High and Low

Last nite, I went to the Anteneul and saw the Belcea (string) Quartet. The program included Haydn - pretty good, Beethoven - pretty awesome. Then came the break. Afterwards, it became pretty clear that I should have left. They finished with Brahms - mmm okay but my bladder was feeling a little nervous. I was doing all the clapping and stuff and the players left the stage and came back on. Okay, so I clap some more. Then, THEY SAT DOWN AGAIN!. This aint a rock concert! What's up with the encore!. To top it all, they encored with Mozart - torturous. Another 20 minutes of listening to a composure that either annoys or bores me or both. All in all it was really good though.

After dinner, we hooked up with some friends at a club/bar called control. it was a refreshing change from the Russian club that another one of my friends likes so much - no circle dancing, no bad, and i do mean BAD techno, and no half naked girls dancing on the pole on the bar (last time they were all festive, looking like Santa's hookers). This was an alterna club - lots of music from bands with nerdy/emaciated white boys talking about feelings and stuff. I must say that I enjoyed it - I do listen to alot of this stuff at home. The music was pretty much anything that was Indie today. and Indie of yesteryore. I do not understand the love of the Smiths quite so much. Much of the music came out before these kids were even born - totally making me feel old.

This club brought back fond memories of old wave nights when I was a youngun'. The dance floor was crowded with people looking like were in the midst of epileptic seizures, rhythm was not a word that many had a passing acquaintance with. It was kinda cool, people dancing, not worried about being sexy to catch the eye of . . . crawled home about 4am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Hmmm...I think we have santa hookers here too! Anyways, I was just saying "ello" and can't wait to see you!

Mom says- "we waiting for you Junie" :-)